Thursday 12 May 2016

What's it like to be a mental health nurse?

12 May is International Nurses' Day. We’re all familiar with the role of physical health nurses, but you might not know as much about psychiatric nurses. We spoke to Steven Daykin, who is a Ward Manager at Highbury Hospital, about what a psychiatric nurse does and what being a nurse means to him.



I got into psychiatric nursing because I had been around mental illness from a young age. My Grandma had Alzheimer’s, and from around the age of 10 I spent many a day in a psychiatric hospital in Derby. I was around very ill people, who didn’t know who they were and who were saying quite strange things. They were often emotional or sad, and this became a normal everyday environment for me.

I became a nurse in my early twenties. No two days are the same. I feel empathy for how people’s lives are severely affected, people from all walks of life who I can often find some common ground with - be it in their family ties, job or life experiences.

Patients’ lives can be affected in different ways. Depression stops people from being able to eat, sleep, or to have the motivation to wash themselves. They may have thoughts about harming themselves and believe they are worthless.

Sometimes patients have psychotic beliefs, where they have some strange thoughts or hear voices telling them to hurt themselves or others. There can also be nice voices  - patients may hear someone passing comment on their actions throughout the day. Sometimes these types of voices are equivalent to a person’s friend and can be missed after successful treatment.

Someone in a manic mood phase may be putting themselves in risky situations or have no concept of time, budgets or how their actions affect others close to them. 

Whatever the patient’s issues, I sit and listen to what they are wanting, their frustrations and sometimes irrational thought processes. I also learn about their families. If I’m lucky I get to meet their families, hear their side of the story and support them, too.

There are difficult situations that arise, such as having someone being on the ward under the mental health law which stops them from being able to come and go as they please. People can get angry and this can come out in many forms. This only happens occasionally, and myself and my colleagues try to reduce this frustration as much as we can be offering activities or time with staff.

An inpatient psychiatric nurse is a bit of a jack of all trades. In one day we can be offering medication and treatment, helping with benefit information, making sure the person’s physical health is taken care of, organising dentist appointments, supporting patients to find new accommodation, liaising with their employer, linking in with police if there are ongoing issues and working with social care to help a patient access their young family.

Most importantly, we offer a kind ear to listen to what each individual wants help with, try to help them to get their life back on track, and involve families where we can. The role of a psychiatric nurse is a challenging one, but it is immensely rewarding.

I met my wife on the ward next door 10 years ago and I have 3 beautiful children because of nursing. I’m now in my mid 30s and manage an inpatient team of nurses and healthcare assistants. I try to pass on the skills and knowledge I have learnt, so the team can build on their own skills and offer the same empathy and support I saw my Grandmother receive all those years ago. 

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you again for all the knowledge u distribute,Good post. I was very interested in the article, it's quite inspiring I should admit. I like visiting you site since I always come across interesting articles like this one.Great Job, I greatly appreciate that.Do Keep sharing! Regards,online pharmacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am grateful to you on the grounds that your article is exceptionally useful for me to continue with my exploration in same region. Your cited illustrations are all that much significant to my exploration field.This is extraordinary! It really exhibits to me where to broaden my online diary
    ดูแลคนป่วย

    ReplyDelete
  4. Detailed and descriptive articles written in this blog is really very helpful for me as well as for other who seeking such kind of knowledge. It is definitely going to become useful in coming future.
    โรงเรียน สอน ผู้ ช่วย พยาบาล

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOW I GOT CURED OF HERPES VIRUS.

    Hello everyone out there, i am here to give my testimony about a herbalist called dr imoloa. i was infected with herpes simplex virus 2 in 2013, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so i was thinking on how i can get a solution out so that my body can be okay. one day i was in the pool side browsing and thinking of where i can get a solution. i go through many website were i saw so many testimonies about dr imoloa on how he cured them. i did not believe but i decided to give him a try, i contacted him and he prepared the herpes for me which i recieved through DHL courier service. i took it for two weeks after then he instructed me to go for check up, after the test i was confirmed herpes negative. am so free and happy. so, if you have problem or you are infected with any disease kindly contact him on email--- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. or / whatssapp --+2347081986098.
    This testimony serve as an expression of my gratitude. he also have herbal cure for COLD SORE, SHINGLES, CANCER, HEPATITICS A, B. DIABETES 1/2, HIV/AIDS, CHRONIC PANCERATIC, CHLAMYDIA, ZIKA VIRUS, EMPHYSEMA, LOW SPERM COUNT, ENZYMA, COUGH, ULCER, ARTHRITIS, LEUKEMIA, LYME DISEASE, ASTHMA, IMPOTENCE, BARENESS/INFERTILITY, WEAK ERECTION, PENIS ENLARGEMENT. AND SO ON.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dental Services New Delhi | HNMDental.com
    Nice Article! Thanks for sharing this information:- https://www.hnmdental.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Help That Really Work Fast,

    permanent solution to herpes

    The best Love spell to get Ex-lover back.

    R.buckler11@gmail. com...........................

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) is a specialized healthcare provider trained to assess, diagnose, and treat individuals with psychiatric disorders and mental health conditions. PMHNPs offer comprehensive care, including therapy, medication management, and patient education, to promote mental wellness and recovery. With advanced clinical expertise and a focus on holistic care, PMHNPs play a crucial role in supporting individuals' mental health needs across the lifespan.

    ReplyDelete