Monday 23 May 2016

47 years working at Rampton Hospital


Jan Wilkinson worked at Rampton Hospital for 47 years before retiring last week. Before she left, we asked Jan to reflect on her time there and the changes she has seen over the years.

Of course, Rampton Hospital was different in 1969 when I started working here. There were less than 30 staff on the administration side of the workforce, and if I remember correctly the hospital employed a total of approximately 600 staff (there are now 1500). At that time the hospital housed 1200 or so patients, whereas today there are around 350.

It’s sometimes hard to believe how much the infrastructure has changed over the years, not only in the staff to patient ratio, but in procedures and policies too. What springs to mind in particular is that it was not a requirement of the admin staff to wear key belts in those days, and on collecting our keys from the Lodge they were usually kept in our desk drawers – incredible really.  All nursing and occupational therapy staff wore uniform so there was a far more formal impression than there is now.

So, in joining the staff at Rampton Hospital I became a civil servant and signed the Official Secrets’ Act; my starting pay was a very handsome 8 guineas a week!

Initially, my job was to take over the typing duties from a clerical officer working in the Medical Records Department (now known as the Mental Health Act Admin Team) who, up until then, had done all the typing (with 2 fingers) for her department. I also typed correspondence for the one social worker at the hospital at that time.

After a while and following a reorganisation (the first of many over the years) I moved from Medical Records to work with two other girls known as ‘medical typists’. We provided secretarial assistance to six consultant psychiatrists who were the responsible medical officers for the patient population.

I can’t recall the timescale of this, but following a review of all the typing/secretarial staff we were moved to work together in a typing pool. Several reorganisations later, I applied for the post of personal secretary. This necessitated an interview at Alexander Fleming House, Elephant & Castle (HQ) in London and following a positive outcome I was appointed to work as personal secretary to the consultant psychiatrists. I transferred from the Civil Service to the National Health Service when the NHS took over the management of the hospital in, I think, 1991.

Technology kicked in over the years. Having used a manual typewriter for several years, I was faced with using an electric typewriter - which took some getting used to being so sensitive to the touch after pounding on a manual machine for so long. Gradually, data processors and eventually computers took over.

For me, Rampton Hospital has been an excellent employer and I have experienced many memorable events over the years. Amongst other things, I have a distinct memory of Christmas sherry parties hosted by the medical superintendent and hospital secretary. Heavy stuff isn’t it, sherry – I don’t touch it any more! Most staff and their partners, if not on duty, would attend the New Year’s Eve Dinner Dance in the Recreation Hall which was a great occasion in those days.

I’ve worked with some very colourful characters over the years, most of them lovely people from whom I have learned so much about people and life. I have made many friends here and have valued my employment at Rampton Hospital. I have no regrets about working here all these years.

For the last 15 years I have worked as PA to Dr Chris Clark, Consultant Forensic Psychiatrist, who is now Associate Medical Director. Dr Clark has been a pleasure to work with and I have thoroughly enjoyed my job and the challenges associated with it. Recent years with the new Care Programme Approach have been particularly challenging and demanding.

I’ve now decided that the time has come for me to ‘hang up my CPA Chart’ and have a more leisurely and stress-free existence with no alarm clock, deadlines or mandatory training. My retirement is now imminent, so bring on all that goes with it including the holidays and leisurely lunches. Nevertheless, I will miss all my colleagues and their friendship and I thank them for making working here so pleasant and wish them well for the future.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, how can I get in touch with Jan - I’m looking for someone who she might have worked with at Rampton. Thanks, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a former inpatient psychiatric patient it is painful to imagine the staff at Rampton drinking Sherry and going to staff dances while the poor patients sit incarcerated. I know the staff have to have some fun, however the extremes in experiences are very very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Y sister was here as a child and have a book on paper she wrote about his place the things that happened to her in there her name is Janice slaven I never met her or knew about her till I was 12yrs old I have a memory of visiting Janice when I was in a pram with my mum the locked doors and long corridors will never leave my child hood memory Then at 12yrs I met my disinter she wa living in laindon then she went to move into south okendon hospital and was the last patient to leave there in a limo I want to try and find anyone that knew Janice please contact me if that be staff or any patients that may see this kind regards 07890171470

    ReplyDelete