Thursday 24 June 2021

Royal Air Force veteran shares his life as a chef in the Armed Forces and how it compares to his role in the NHS

For Armed Forces Week, we’re sharing stories from our reservists and veterans who, having had a career in the Armed Forces have now chosen to continue their career in the NHS.

Nottinghamshire Healthcare has been a long supporter of the Armed Forces Community and recognise the valuable contribution, wealth of experience and skills that Armed Forces personnel and their families bring to the organisation and that this contributes to the delivery of safe, effective, caring, responsive and well-led patient care.

In supporting the Armed Forces, the Trust has signed up to the Armed Forces Covenant and NHS Employers Step into Health programme. Armed Forces and their families include service leavers, reservists, veterans, Cadet Forces adult volunteers and spouses, partners and families of those serving.

Hear from Brian Bonner who started work at the Trust in February 2021 as a Facilities Coordinator. He joined the Royal Air Force initially as a driver but had to re-muster to be a chef due to his colour blindness causing difficulty. Brian talks about his time in the Royal Air Force and what made him choose a career in the NHS.

 

Brian Bonner, Facilities Coordinator
Brian Bonner, Facilities Coordinator


Brian's story:

My father served in the Navy as a mechanical engineer and my sister as an administrator. My brother was a Regimental Sergeant Major in the Irish Guards, so it was my turn.

“I joined the Royal Air Force initially as a driver but had to re-muster to be a chef due to my colour blindness causing difficulty.

“My first posting was to RAF Hendon next to the RAF museum, then onto RAF Stanbridge air transit hotel, Ascension Island; RAF Coningsby 29 squadron and where the Battle of Britain memorial flight was stationed.

“I worked mostly in officers’ mess environments and on several aircraft squadrons with some overseas travel to Cyprus, the Far East to name a couple of “great times”.

“As all chefs at the time we were trained and assigned to mobile field catering units to deploy at short notice to anywhere that the RAF was needed. The teamwork and friendship throughout my service was brilliant and something I haven’t experienced since.

“I then spent 6 years as a reservist and 6 years teaching the Royal Air Force cadets where I took my commission.

Brian Bonner - RAF Swinderby in Newark in December 1985 


What made you decide to work for the NHS and what is your role?

“I re-located back to the East Midlands in March from the New Forest where I was working in a facilities management role with a care provider supporting our more mature citizens with Dementia and fulfilling their lives and the team working with me.

“I really got a tremendous amount of satisfaction and challenge from this role which was a huge change from my normal employment.

“I took up the position as facilities coordinator for the new Sherwood Oaks project within the Trust’s mental health services in February 2021 and I am currently supporting this, and other smaller projects as required.

How does your NHS work compare to your work you undertook in the Armed Forces?

“It’s completely different in some ways but being part of a larger organisation suits me better with opportunities and freedom to internally promote myself and others and, where applicable, utilise my skills.

“I have a great deal of experience in hospitality, business consultancy and facilities management. I also kept my skills as a chef active with experience gained in menu and food development and NVQ development whilst contracting for the Ministry of Defence (MOD). During my time contracting for the MOD I supported nominated individuals on resettling from service life into civilian life to the service/hospitality sector.

What qualities and skills have been transferable to life working in the NHS?

“Time keeping, Respectfulness, Appearance.

“I have also learned to be more patient with people and understanding to individual needs where a “one cap fits all” scenario is not always the case.

In what ways have you been supported by the Trust as a veteran/reservist?

“As I only started in February 2021 the opportunities have not presented themselves as yet but there are several people who have the same shared experiences.”

If you are currently employed in the armed forces and interested in exploring future employment opportunities at the Trust, why not check out of vacancies: recruitment.nottshc.nhs.uk/

For further information about careers in the NHS Working in health | Health Careers 

For further information about the NHS Employers’ Step into Health programme, visit the Transition into an NHS career | Step Into Health (militarystepintohealth.nhs.uk) or email jackie.hogan@nottshc.nhs.uk

 

No comments:

Post a Comment