Wednesday 15 November 2017

Stopping smoking: Irene's story

Irene Healy is a volunteer at our Involvement Centre. She agreed to give up smoking for a month and to tell us about her experiences. We're sharing Irene's story as part of World COPD Day.




Why I wanted to give up


I wanted to stop smoking for a number of reasons, but mainly for my health. I believe it will give me another ten years’ life and that means I would be able to spend ten more years with my kids and grandkids. I’m ready to change my habit.

I’ve got asthma, COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and a recent diagnosis of emphysema, a lung disease that makes me out of breath.

I was sick of smelling of cigarette smoke. My clothes smelt of it, and the kids didn’t like it either. Smoking is also very expensive.

I knew it would be a challenge, especially because I smoked when stressed. Being amongst others who smoke can also make it hard to say no.

I’ve not used any aids such as patches or gum to help me stop. Instead, I’m keeping busy to take my mind off it and trying to find techniques to help. Becoming a Christian recently has made all the difference, as no one at my church smokes!


Feeling the benefits


I’ve felt some health benefits already. I used to only be able to swim for five minutes, and now I can swim for thirty minutes. I still cough, but that’s to be expected. I know I’ve got to ride it out and that you feel worse before you feel better.

One thing I’m not so keen on is a bit of weight gain. My appetite and taste is improving, though. I even eat vegetables now, something I didn’t do before as they tasted so bland.

It’s too early to talk about the real improvements to my health but I’m going to carry on saving for a holiday. After a week or two you look at the cigarettes in the shop and think ‘I’m not going to spend all that money’. I really want to travel as I’ve never been on an aeroplane in my life. I want to go to Spain. Viva Espana!

Looking back on the experience


I thought I would be craving cigarettes, but the habit and social aspect of smoking has made me realise that it was exactly that - just a habit.

I did find the experience stressful, particularly when I was feeling down. Smoking for stress relief feels like it helps. But coming out of a shop and not buying any cigarettes is a new experience!

I’ve actually encouraged other people to reduce their smoking without them realising. Sometimes my friends will forgo their cigarette if I’m not going out for one!

When you stop smoking, you realise how it affects your social circles as you find new friends who don’t smoke.

I would encourage anyone thinking of giving up smoking to do it and have a go. You don’t know until you try.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post nice post, thanks for sharing

    Fogg Vape

    ReplyDelete