Wednesday 7 September 2016

"I hope that more people with impairments will take up sport"

Julie even has a new Rio inspired hair style!
Julie Gray is a paediatric physiotherapist at Nottinghamshire Healthcare. Here she talks to us about her role at the Rio 2016 Paralympics.

As a volunteer, I’ve been running a canoe and kayaking club for young people with special needs for the last 25 years.

When British Canoeing was looking for someone to train as a medical classifier, my name was put forward, as I have not only the medical skills as a physiotherapist, but also understand some of the technical aspects of the sport through coaching the youngsters in my club.


I go to Rio as the Head of Classification for the International Canoe Federation (ICF). All athletes competing in the Paralympics are classified into different categories, depending on their level of function, specific to the sport that they are competing in. My job as a classifier is to assess the function of the athletes so that they are placed in the correct category. They can then compete against others with similar functional levels.

I am looking forward to a high quality competition between the best para-canoe athletes in the world. I’m looking forward to the carnival atmosphere Rio will produce, despite all the financial setbacks with the games.

British canoeist Emma Wiggs is a four times World Champion in the women’s K1 200m KL2 class

The setting for the para-canoe competition at the Lagoa is absolutely spectacular. All the greatest landmarks in Rio are visible around it, and I’m looking forward to being able to visit some of those places whilst I am there. I’m looking forward to living in the athlete village, and being able to mingle with athletes from all of the different nations.

This “job” has enabled me to meet some amazingly dedicated people around the world who volunteer to do the all hard work, with little or no reward, because of their love for the sport. It has taken me to places that I would never have seen otherwise, and allowed me a glimpse of different cultures.

As far as my day job is concerned, I think my horizons have been broadened. I hope to instill in my patients a love of sport, exercise and physical activity, which will help to keep them moving long after they have forgotten their physio programmes.

My patients may not love canoeing, but if hearing of my experiences gives young people with a disability the confidence to take up a sport, whether it be for leisure, or competitively, then I can say that I have helped them to realise their full physical potential.

Robert Oliver is another British medal hopeful Rio

My hope for Rio 2016 is that the games will be as successful as those in London in 2012, and that more people with impairments will be encouraged to take part in sport. Obviously I hope that the kayaking is an exciting addition to the Paralympic programme and that the IPC will sanction its expansion into the canoe racing for the next games in Tokyo.

Although, as an official, I have to maintain my neutrality, I wish the GB para-canoeing team every success in their endeavour to bring back a medal in every kayaking event.

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant Julie, Keep up the excellent work you do, both as a physio & as a classifier. Hope you have a wonderful time in Rio

    ReplyDelete