Monday 4 April 2016

That winning feeling

Trevor arriving at the awards
Trevor Clower is an active member of the Trust and our Involvement Centre, as a volunteer and parent carer. Trevor won the Unsung Hero Award at our staff awards, the Outstanding Service Contribution and Recognition Scheme (OSCARS), in March. Here’s how he felt to be a winner.

Getting a phone call to say I had been nominated for an OSCAR completely floored me. It was amazing to find out that so many people had written about me to put me forward for an award.

Being nominated was the most overwhelming experience I have had in my life, short of seeing my two children being born, that would always take precedence I feel.

I didn’t think the feeling of being nominated would ever be topped, until I arrived at the awards ceremony.


Meeting everyone in the reception area and chatting away with so many friends was amazing. I have to confess I’m not what you would call a party animal, so the experience was quite exciting and I felt really relaxed as we all flowed through to the dining room.

All the seating arrangements were set out. My guest, Ruth, and I were on table 10 and so were Jane Danforth (Involvement Officer) and some other people I knew from the Trust. I found my nomination certificate on my chair as I took my place at the table to enjoy the meal and the company.

As we finished off the meal and drinking our coffee, the ceremony started up on the stage, in front of all the tables with about 300 people or so looking on.

The first category was for the Unsung Hero Award, non-clinical. I just sat back and listened, not really realising that this was my category. I was just enjoying the show, as the name of the four nominees was announced. I was still not quite with it until my name was mentioned last of the four nominees, and Jane held her hands up showing me her crossed fingers.

Then someone opened the envelope to announce the OSCAR winner, the whole place erupted, as Jane and Ruth hugged me as I stood up. I was in a daze, as so many people shook my hand, a few more hugged me, and I was still trying to make my way around the tables towards the stage.

I finally managed to get to the stage, amid all the applause and the music and the lights. I was met by Dean Fathers who congratulated me and pointed me towards Ruth Hawkins, who I have never met in person.

I remember I kept saying thank you repeatedly, that is all I could think of saying as all this was going on. Ruth congratulated me as she handed me the OSCAR, a heavy piece of glass about the size of a novel book, with my name on it. Guess what I said? Yes, you guessed it - I said thank you, repeatedly like a robot.



I left the stage clutching my glass award and waving it in the air in triumph to even more applause, with people wanting to take my photograph and shaking my hand.

I was walking on air by now, with the excitement of the moment rippling through my body. I felt more alive and everything was just a sea of sensations of noise and colour, with people wanting to shake my hand and have selfies with their phone cameras, as I got back to my seat on table 10.

Even then people were coming up to shake my hand and congratulate me, as I started to settle down a little and watch the other winners being announced.

I loved the way as each nominee was announced, the table where they sat screamed out their approval, and each table got louder and louder as the night progressed. Then everyone donned the dance floor to the thunder of rock and roll that went on into the night.

I have to say the Trust knows a thing or two when it comes to organising an OSCARS party. It gave everyone a chance to see everyone else let their hair down and show a side of themselves I rarely see. I felt very much a part of this wonderful family of Trust employees and volunteers.

Well done to all the OSCAR winners and well done to all the nominees too, but a big thank you to the Trust for a fantastic evening. I’d like to say a very, very BIG thank you to all the people who nominated me. I will always be indebted to you all, and I will do my level best to continue with all the projects I get involved in and try to improve the plight of the unpaid carer

2 comments:

  1. Well deserved. Trevor is an inspiration to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a herbal remedy that detox the body

    I used it 2 weeks ago for herpes

    No more outbreaks, itching, discomfort

    It can be used for Shingles, Cold sore, HPV, HSV1&2,

    Very effective..

    Contact him …………….

    R.buckler11@gmail com,,

    For more reviews, Google [Robinsonbuckler11 herbal remedy]

    ReplyDelete