Wednesday 9 March 2016

Smoking: it's good to be a quitter

Wednesday 9 March is No Smoking Day. While studies show that two-thirds of smokers want to quit, nearly one in five UK adults continue to smoke.


We spoke to Sheila Wright, one of our Non-Executive Directors, about giving up.

Sheila’s story

"My first experience of smoking was aged nine years, smoking cigarettes supplied by friends who had ‘stolen’ them from their parents. By 16 I was addicted to nicotine, financed through my dinner money and pocket money.


"On reflection stopping smoking was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I felt ill physically and mentally as I went through the withdrawal but with the support of my GP, group members, family and friends, three months later I had completely stopped.
Getting support

Our Stop Smoking Service, New Leaf has a range of clinics running throughout Nottingham. Smokers can drop by for free, friendly and confidential advice and support. For more information:
Visit www.stopsmokingwithnewleaf.co.uk
  • Call 0800 389 7712 
  • Text LEAF to 80800 
  • Email Newleaf@nottshc.nhs.uk 
"Until I stopped 12 years ago, I smoked on average 20 per day, and had attempted to stop many times and with varying degrees of success.

"About 14 years ago my GP advised me to stop smoking. I ignored him. The following year my dentist advised me to stop smoking – as failure to do so would result in me waking up with a pair of false teeth grinning at me from my bedside table. I heard that message and vanity over physical health became my focal point. I returned to my GP who prescribed nicotine replacement patches and referred me to a local NHS smoking cessation group.
"Twelve years later I have not returned to smoking, but occasionally I do fancy a cigarette. (I occasionally dream of smoking and thoroughly enjoying it). The benefits are many and include: I still have ‘most’ of my own teeth, I’m financially better off, and no longer have a smokers’ cough."

Our Trust is going smokefree from October, meaning that smoking on our wards and in our grounds will not be allowed. Find out more on our website.

2 comments:

  1. I quit when I was pregnant for over 4 years and ended up restarting due to stress. I tried to quit again and was finding nicotine replacement strips helpful until they stopped doing them. I get rashes and nightmares from patches, lozenges don't seem to work, gum gives me ulsers, I vomit when using the sprays and daft as it sounds, vape hurt my chest when I inhale them. I'm now at a loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you've had a difficult time giving up. Have you tried contacting your local stop smoking service? We're sure they'd be able to offer you some support.

      Delete