Friday 4 December 2015

The power of volunteering

Saturday 5 December is International Volunteer Day. We’d like to say a big thank you to all of the volunteers who help our patients and service users, as well as those who help to shape and improve our services.

Over 250 volunteers and befrienders give up their time to help people at Nottinghamshire Healthcare. There are lots of opportunities available. Our two Involvement Centres are places where people can take part in lots of different activities, from being on interview panels to working on their own personal development.

There are also lots of ways to get involved directly with patients, from helping to collect feedback to serving customers in our tea shops.


Befriending and visiting roles are another important way volunteers help at the Trust. Rampton Hospital has its own befriending scheme, for patients who have little or no contact with the outside world. Befrienders are individually paired up with patients who have similar hobbies and interests.

Befriending is a really important role for patients who don’t have many visitors, as it gives them contact with the outside world and helps to stop them feeling isolated. There are currently 49 befrienders working at Rampton Hospital, as well as befrienders working at some of our other secure hospitals.

Alan Coomes has two voluntary roles with the Trust; supporting patients at Nottingham City Hospital and taking part in ward audits and interview panels as an involvement and experience volunteer. Alan said, “‘I’ve been on my own for a very long time. Volunteering gives me a structure to daily life. I enjoy giving something back.”

“Volunteering lifts me out of the negative feelings and promotes a sense of positivity. It gives me what I describe as the 6 Cs; Care for others, Compassion, Competence, Communication with others, Courage and Commitment.”



Jules is another volunteer, who shares her story with new staff as part of their induction. Jules also volunteers at The Story Shop, a project where people with experience of mental health issues share their stories with others to help raise awareness and reduce stigma.

Jules says: “I like a routine. I like to be with people. Volunteering gives me an opportunity to be with others. It takes me away from my four walls, and I like to think that I make people happy when I volunteer and share my journey as a service user.”

Lots of our volunteers talk about the structure and routine working with us gives them. When people have been unwell and unable to work, volunteering gives them a purpose. Volunteering is of course about giving, but for many people it also gives them something back, too.

If you would like to find out more about volunteering at Nottinghamshire Healthcare, visit the volunteering section of our website.

No comments:

Post a Comment