Friday 8 October 2021

No place for discrimination: Natasha's story

For National Hate Crime Awareness Week, Nottinghamshire Healthcare will be launching its 'No Excuse For Abuse' hate incidents/crimes campaign, sending out a clear message to those who abuse its staff, visitors, carers and service users that there is no place for hate in our organisation.

Hate incidents are significantly underreported across society and it is no different for the Trust. Staff have reported, through the Trust’s BME Staff Network and NHS National Staff Survey (2020), that the most common form of hate incident is racism and is one of the many reasons why we are addressing this important issue. The impact this has on our staff and those who use our services is often profound.

We're sharing a story from Natasha Bowen, who experienced a hate incident at the Trust. She talks about how she felt too afraid to speak up as a new member of staff but felt empowered, valued and protected after her manager challenged the person. 

Natasha Bowen
Natasha Bowen, Access to Information Support Officer

Read Natasha’s story:

"It was my first week within the Trust, a temporary fixed term contract after being made redundant" explains Natasha. "My aim was to learn everything I could, impress my boss and secure permanent employment.

"We had a contractor in the office setting up some equipment who approached me and asked why we had a non-trust printer in the downstairs reception. I explained that I believed the printer was there due to us having a disabled member of staff. Their response to my explanation will stay with me forever “Oh yeah, you can have anything nowadays if you’re disabled, black, what’s that new one - Transgender.”

"My instant response was to laugh, I was embarrassed, so many thoughts running through my mind……Was it a test? Don’t they see that I’m Black? What do I say?

"I didn’t realise my boss was standing right behind me. She moved forward and stood in front of me, and her response was amazing.

“How dare you speak to one of my members of staff like that, there is no place in the Trust for views like that.”

I felt empowered as nobody had ever stood up for me before

"I walked away while she explained to the person why their comments were unacceptable, I felt embarrassed by my response, but also empowered as nobody had ever stood up for me like that before. I had just completed my Equality & Diversity training at the Trust so what was I thinking. I knew I should have challenged their comments but, in my heart, I knew I didn’t feel strong enough to stand up for myself.   

"Before the person left the building, they came over and apologised for their comments and I accepted the apology.

"As part of my induction, I met with my boss that day. She asked me how I was feeling, and if I understood why she had responded the way she did and if I would like to make a formal complaint. She was kind and very understanding and she hoped the experience hadn’t had a negative impact on my view of the Trust. My boss informed me that she would be making a report, and if I didn’t want to make a statement, she would keep my name out of it, but she felt that it was her duty to report it as there was no place for discrimination within the Trust.

"I didn’t want to make a formal complaint, I was new to the role and didn’t want to make a name for myself as being a troublemaker, but I would learn from this experience.  I would always stand up for myself and challenge if I was ever in the same situation again.

"This did not have a negative impact on me, quite the opposite. I knew from that day I wanted to work for the Trust. I felt for the first time in my life, valued, empowered and protected. I realised that I wasn’t ‘the minority’; the minority were the people who had the discriminative views and weren’t afraid to speak them."

"I am now a Freedom To Speak Up Champion and one of the reasons I became a champion was to support people and make it easier for them to raise issues, supporting them to feel safe and that their concerns will be listened to.

If you have seen or been a victim of hate incident or hate crime you can report incidents to Nottinghamshire Police by calling 101 or dialling 999 in an emergency.

You can read more about our 'No Excuse For Abuse' hate incidents/hate crimes campaign here: www.nottinghamshirehealthcare.nhs.uk/latest-news/trust-takes-a-stand-against-hate-incidents-and-abuse-4883 

We also have a dedicated Hate Incidents/Hate Crimes page on the Trust's website where you can read some of our staff messages on why hate incidents/crime should not be tolerated. 


No comments:

Post a Comment