Thursday 5 December 2019

International Volunteer Day: Andrew's Story



Today is International Volunteer day, which recognises all the fantastic work volunteers do.
Andrew volunteers at our Involvement Centres and is going into his 10th year volunteering with us. He has chosen to share how he got involved with volunteering and his positive experience as a Monitoring of Infection, Cleanliness and Environment (MICE) and Patient Led Assessment (PLACE) Audit volunteer.


Andrew’s story:

‘In 1987, I was in a serious car accident. I had numerous serious injuries and a number of operations on my left knee. Three to four years later, after the road traffic accident, I became very poorly again, I was referred to a rheumatologist and eventually diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis, which was rare at the time.  Now my arthritis is kind of under control with all the medication I’m on.

Before I started doing voluntary work for the NHS, I had a Framework worker who was helping me. At that time, I wasn’t doing anything with my life. He suggested being a volunteer for one of the Involvement Centres (NHS) in my area.

I decided to become a volunteer to pay something back to the NHS for all the help and ongoing support I am receiving from them.

I like doing volunteering as it gives me a purpose in life. It makes me feel worthwhile and I’ve met other people in similar situations as myself. I find it very rewarding and satisfying. Also, I have met and made a lot of new friends through the volunteering I have done.

I would encourage anyone in my situation or other disabilities to become a volunteer as it is very rewarding. The new skills I have gained through Involvement are: better communication, Safeguarding, Information Governance, MICE & PLACE Audit training.

The Involvement team are always looking for new volunteers, there are many roles, from doing Audits, Patient Information Group, Befriending, Care Audits, Patient Feedback and many more roles.’

Volunteers at the Involvement Centres help with a wide range of service change activities. There is a Patient Information Group, which Andrew often attends, that looks at helping to create and review information being provided to patients and carers to make it more accessible. 

Andrew also goes to regular opportunity meetings where the Involvement Centre give updates on what’s going on and the different opportunities available, whilst helping to co-ordinate the voluntary activity across the Trust. He is also a regular attendee of the Communication Sharing Group which looks at creating blogs and social media content, and the Volunteer Development Group which looks at expanding the volunteer role in the Trust and how we can best equip our volunteers with the skills they need.

We have lots of different volunteering opportunities across our trust. Our volunteers bring their skills, knowledge and desire to make a difference to our services and the lives of the people we care for. 

If you’re interested in volunteering, visit our website to see how you can volunteer for the trust: https://www.nottinghamshirehealthcare.nhs.uk/volunteer-with-us

No comments:

Post a Comment