Wednesday 3 October 2018

Chair's blog: I don't need research


This month our Chair, Dean Fathers, is sharing a blog post. Since October is Black History Month, he has chosen to shine a light on some inspiring BME leaders from his NHS career.

I was inspired to write this blog by a comment made by Annett on my LinkedIn page - "A great place to work is a great place to be cared for". Annett is the co-Chair of Nottinghamshire Healthcare's BME network and her quote reminded me of the research based Workforce Race Equality Standard (WRES) which quite clearly has the quantified evidence to back up this assertion. Intuitively I just know it to be true too. I have over the years seen the evidence of this in the behaviours of numerous people in a wide range of organisations. Annett herself is a wonderful example. Not only has she improved the quality of my life by caring enough for me to invest her valuable time in mentoring me, but she has positively impacted on the lives of so many of the staff and service users of this Trust with her infectious happiness, her complete dedication and her strong, unflappable leadership. She is much admired, highly valued and greatly respected by the Board, the leadership team, her staff and those she cares for alike.

Unsung heroes also include wonderful people like Kishan, who I was privileged to mentor whilst at United Lincolnshire Hospitals. Kishan is passionate that medical staff should have the best education possible and went above and beyond to provide free educational programmes through social media. He did this despite resistance from others who would have preferred him to 'stay within his grade' and persevered, showing great personal courage and resilience. His leadership, driven by his compassion for his patients and his desire to do the best by them, was inspirational. He is the only A&E Doctor that I am aware of who has organised family consent to visit a discharged patient at home several days later to assure himself that he had done a good job, which he had. Care and compassion go hand in hand with learning and quality for Kishan.

Learning is something that Imogeen was keen on too. She worked with the Trust as a Stakeholder Governor. Imogeen supported the Trust by volunteering to become a first wave participant on the Trust's Board Apprentice programme. This action learning programme was created by a system wide group of stakeholder organisations to enable talented people from under-represented groups (with potential but no Board experience) to learn how to be Non-executive Directors. This programme was adopted by the NHS, becoming the national NeXT Director development programme. Imogeen subsequently gained promotion and also became a Governor of the Trust. The success of those volunteers who went through the Nottinghamshire programme provided the evidence for others nationally to note what the benefits of good practice could be. Take Clinton for example, who having gained a place on the programme repaid our investment by becoming an elected Governor of the Trust, by volunteering to Chair the League of Friends and by raising valuable charitable funds for the benefit of the Trust's service users.

I have numerous other noteworthy examples; Arshad, Tanweer, Itai, Zafran, Suzanne and Sheila, to name but a few, as well of course the magnificent Yvonne and Marie and the rest of the WRES team. Looking at the great work all these people do makes me feel privileged to be the Chair of an NHS body. I don't need research to tell me that a great place to work is a great place to be cared for. I just look at the talent around me.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. I really appreciate the efforts you have made for this blog.
    All the best !!!

    iop program boynton beach
    alcohol rehab florida

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gina! I saw your comment about Dr. Uduehi’s medication concerning Fibroid sometime ago and you were right, I tried it and it worked like magic for me. It was like hell living with FIBROID all this years until now, no more pains, bleeding and no miscarriage and I would've come with my testimony before now but I have to wait for a couple of months to see if it will regrow again but there's still no sign of fibroid, I also went to the hospital for test and still i was tested negative. All thanks to Dr. Uduehi and to you too Gina. And for anyone out there who wish to try can reach the doctor through: (+2347084878384) uduehiherbalcare@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. ATTENTION YOU ALL. i wish to inform you all
    that after all the herbal doctor that i contacted, Dr
    Emmanuel (nativehealthclinic@gmail.com) was the
    only one that cured my HIV infection with his herbal medicine.
    i have contacted about 6 different herbal doctor and i was
    just been SUCKED. well that the past.
    Am very happy now that am cured finally by Dr Emmanuel
    I contacted
    Dr Emmanuel just last week when i was confused on who
    to contact, and he
    gave me an online Details clinic to fill. i filled the form
    with my
    details and he wrote back to me that it will take 48 hours
    (2DAYS) for
    the herbal medicine to be active. To my greatest surprise, after
    using the medicine, he called me on phone and told me to
    go for a medical check up to confirm my STATUS. and i
    went to 6
    different hospital and i was tested NEGATIVE. so i
    decided to inform the
    general public so that you wont waste time sharing tears
    and losing
    hope.
    you can email him Dr Emmanuel on his email
    nativehealthclinic@gmail.com
    or whatsapp him at +2348140073965
    or you can give me a call on +1 (515) 996 661
    list of what he cure.
    herpes virus
    genitial wart
    cancer
    copd

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is surely a very good blog, thanks a lot for sharing such nice information here.

    BLS CPR Riverside County
    CPR Classes Riverside County

    ReplyDelete