Wednesday 6 June 2018

Diabetes Week: taking back control


The DESMOND (Diabetes Education and Self-Management for Ongoing and Newly Diagnosed) programme is offered by the Trust to people with Type 2 diabetes across Nottinghamshire. The programme aims to help people change their lifestyles so that they can manage their diabetes effectively. 

Julie from West Bridgford told us how the programme helped her take back control of her condition.


At 55, Julie didn’t have any recognisable symptoms of diabetes – it was only when she saw her GP following a fall that she was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.

“I fell down the stairs at home and went to see my GP who tested my blood.” explains Julie. “The results showed that I had very high sugar levels and I was diagnosed with the condition. A new diabetes diagnosis caused me to feel very low and upset. A nurse at the surgery told me about DESMOND. I had never heard of the course but I agreed to give it a go.

“I was a little nervous, as I didn’t know what to expect. There were around 10 people in the group and we were all able to discuss with each other how we were coping and adjusting to this lifestyle change.  The full day DESMOND course helped me to understand what food items were acceptable, what amounts were suitable and how to change my eating habits and cut down on high sugar foods.

“After completing the course I came away feeling very positive. I now understand how important it is to readjust my diet and I now eat more sensibly. I have also joined a gym which I attend two or three times a week. I have lost over two stone and feel better for it.  I walk more, I’ve cut down on the wrong foods and I now only drink a couple of nights a week.  My sugar levels have dropped dramatically, which is great.

“Although I have had to change my lifestyle to manage my diabetes, the condition hasn’t impacted on my life in a negative way because of the support and the advice available to me from the DESMOND programme. You are not judged for having diabetes and I honestly didn’t realise how many people this affects. The diabetes educators offer so much advice, making it easier to understand diet and exercise and lifestyle changes that help control the problem.  I’ve also had the support of my doctor’s surgery and my family and friends.

“If you are offered the DESMOND programme, then definitely go.  I now feel back in control and it has given me a more positive outlook on my future. Thanks to DESMOND, the thought of having diabetes isn’t scary any more and I can get on with my life; enjoying time with my grandchildren and family and meeting up with my friends.”

Interested in attending a DESMOND programme?

  • Speak to your nurse or GP about a referral or contact the team on 01623 785182 or 01632 785204 or email not-tr.desmondnotts@nhs.net 
  • Self-referral is available across Rushcliffe, Nottingham West, and Nottingham North and East.
  • DESMOND online is also now available to patients who have attended a face-to-face DESMOND course, allowing them to reinforce their learning and monitor their results and progress going forward. 

3 comments:

  1. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Epilepsy, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Fatal Familial Insomnia ,Dupuytren's disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Blog. To maintain blood sugar level Cureveda offers herbal diabetes medicine. This medicine contains natura ingredients which helps to maintain sugar level and provide relief from frequent urination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is informative post for diabetes treatment, if we follow this post and take Herbal Supplements For Diabetes then we get fast result.

    ReplyDelete