Thursday 12 January 2017

Former patient returns to hospital as an employee


A former patient of the Trust’s medium secure unit in Rotherham, Wathwood Hospital, has returned six years later as an employee.

Andy Reynolds spent five years as a patient at Wathwood and is now working in the Courtyard Café and Farm Shop in the Hospital grounds.

While at the Hospital Andy was part of the successful ‘Wathwood Hospital in the Community’ project which involved patients and staff working together with members of the public to help improve the local area, for example through providing gardening services.  Since leaving the Hospital Andy has kept busy involving himself with countryside activities and poultry rearing which will come in handy in his new role.   Here he tells his story…

“When I arrived at Wathwood I didn’t understand why I was there but as I progressed through the treatment I knew I wasn’t mentally well.

“Whilst in care I spent most of my time talking to other patients.  In a way I was mentoring them, reassuring them and helping them settle in and helping them better understand it wasn’t a bad place to be when unwell. In a way, this was also helpful to myself.

“I got involved with Horticulture at the Hospital and found I loved this as I’d always had an interest in the outside and countryside activities.  I was also one of the first to go on a work placement at Flockton, West Yorkshire at a large scale farm with rare breeds such as rare sheep, highland cows etc. Due to my countryside interest I found I was good at it and it was helpful to me all the way through my treatment.

“I was also a member of and attended the Trust AGMs (Annual General Meetings) where I would give an insight into Wathwood if asked.  I participated in the ‘Wathwood in the Community’ programme which included patients, staff and the local community such as the golf club and attended residents meetings and Wath Council meetings.

“I always appreciated the support offered from all the staff at Wathwood.  It was in 2016 I was welcomed back as an employee within the Social Enterprise. My role involves working in the kitchen, café and the horticultural department.  I enjoyed my former years at the Hospital and want to give something back for all the help given to me during my stay.  With support anyone can achieve anything.  It is possible and you should believe in yourself.”

Andy is employed by The Wathwood Courtyard, a social enterprise initiative which consists of the Farm Shop and Café.  The Board behind it includes local residents, patients, local business people and Hospital staff and takes the form of a community interest company.  This is another way patients can get involved, learn new skills and gain confidence whilst at the Hospital.  It is hoped in the future that Andy will be joined by other former patients who will help the Courtyard project to continue to be a success.

For more information about Wathwood Hospital visit the Trust website 

1 comment:

  1. I am very happy to your service,I think its exclusive service,Very informative and well written post! Quite interesting and nice topic chosen for the post Nice Post keep it up.Excellent post.I want to thank you for this informative post
    Practice Manager

    ReplyDelete