Tuesday 21 June 2016

“Breastfeeding doesn’t come naturally to all mums. Some of us need a bit more support!”

For Charlotte, 30, memories of breastfeeding her first baby were tinged with sadness. After three weeks struggling to feed her newborn son, she made the difficult decision to stop. It’s something she has always regretted.

But, when she had her second baby, Jacob, last year, she decided to give breastfeeding another go, this time armed with support from her local breastfeeding support group, run by the Trust. 


Now, over a year later, Charlotte is sharing her breastfeeding story, to encourage other mums who are struggling to access the help that’s available.

“The first few weeks were very difficult” Charlotte explains. “Jacob was a ‘sleepy feeder’ and would take up to an hour to feed – and then he’d be hungry again an hour later. Not ideal with having a toddler too. I had very painful nipples. And then developed mastitis as well, which was extremely painful. When the Health Visitor came to visit one day, I was so upset I just burst into tears. I was already struggling – this was the last thing I needed!"


“I already knew the Breastfeeding Support Group as I’d volunteered there whilst I was pregnant. I first took Jacob when he was five-days-old. I couldn’t wait to get out of the house!

“The group is a nice friendly baby group, where you can have a chat and meet new mums. It helps to know others are going through the same thing as you. You can share your experiences and give each other tips or advice. If you’re having problems, or are self-conscious about breastfeeding, it’s a great place to go. But, it’s not just somewhere you only go if you’re having problems. You can go, have a chat and meet new friends - it really is just the same as any other baby group.

“There’s always a breastfeeding support worker there too. The team are extremely knowledgeable. And they’re so patient. It doesn’t matter how many questions you have, they’re always able to help. The group is my first port of call if I have any problems.”

Charlotte reached her initial goal of breastfeeding Jacob until he was six-months-old and is still breastfeeding him now, at 15-months-old.


“I didn’t enjoy it at all for the first couple of months” Charlotte admits “but by three months, I realised I was really enjoying it. These days, Jacob only feeds once or twice a day and it won’t be long until he weans, which makes me quite sad!

“I’ve been volunteering as a Breastfeeding Peer Support Worker for nearly two years now. I love it. I’m also about to begin volunteering on a maternity ward, helping new mums to establish breastfeeding.

“Breastfeeding shouldn’t be a painful or difficult experience so, if you’re struggling, get help. It doesn’t come naturally to all mums and babies, and some of us need more support than others. My mum and sister said how wonderful breastfeeding was and when I didn’t feel the same to start with, I got quite upset. I wondered if I’d ever enjoy it. But, by three months, I absolutely loved it.

“Breastfeeding creates an irreplaceable bond between mother and baby and I’m just so happy I didn’t stop in those early days. It was the support I had and sheer willpower that kept me going.”

For more information about breastfeeding support services in Nottinghamshire visit: www.nottinghamshirehealthcare.nhs.uk/infant-feeding

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story Charlotte. It's wonderful that you've had such a good experience and now want to share that and offer support to others. You're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We agree Vicky. We really hope that, by reading Charlotte's story, other mums will be able to get the help they need.

      Delete
  2. Please approve my comment....

    I bought a herbal medicine,

    I am now free from Herpes.

    robinsonbuckler11 {{@gmail }} com,,.............................................

    ReplyDelete